Gluten Free Apple Stuffing
You can cook this stuffing in your turkey or in a dish separately. The choice is yours.
- 1 loaf soft gluten-free bread, torn into 1-inch or smaller pieces (12 to 14 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted grass fed butter
- 3 small to medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 large outer celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2- to 2 cups turkey or chicken stock (vegetable stock is also an option)
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 300°F. Tear bread into 1-inch pieces and spread them out in a single layer in 1 or 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake the bread until completely dry and pale golden, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let the bread cool.
NOTE: The bread can be toasted 2-3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Step 2 – Increase the oven to 400°F. Melt the butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then add the onions, celery, carrots and apple with the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
Step 3 – Add the herbs, pepper, cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gently toss the bread with the onion mixture in a large bowl, then transfer it to a buttered shallow baking dish.
Step 4 – Whisk together the eggs and stock (more if you like your stuffing moist, less if you like it crisp) in another bowl and drizzle it over the stuffing. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake the stuffing for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake it until the top is golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.