Get off your Arse and Start Walking!
Walking. It’s so beneficial physically and mentally. And so easy to do, you can’t say no. You don’t need any fancy equipment and you can do it in any type of weather. So no excuses here.
Here are just some of the amazing benefits walking has to offer:
- it gets you outside and into nature
- it can help reduce stress or relieve stress, because it gets you moving and breathing, providing oxygen to the body, it can help you think things through and work stuff out
- it lifts your mood, it makes you happy. It releases the feel-good endorphins into your bloodstream, again helping to reduce stress and anxiety
- it can help burn fat, allowing you to lose weight or control your weight
- it strengthens your heart
- regular walking has been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke
- it lowers cholesterol and keeps you blood pressure in check
- making walking a regular habit can also help reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- worried about osteoporosis – get walking, walking is a weight-bearing exercise, it stimulates and strengthens your bones
- want toned legs and butt – well, walking can help tone your legs, giving you definition to your quads, hamstrings and glutes
- it gives you energy – because it stimulates circulation and increases oxygen supply to cells in your body
- and best of all walking is free, and can be done almost anywhere and any time of the year, sun, rain or snow.
How to get started.
Pick a set time every day, a time that is easy, maybe it’s first thing in the morning, maybe on your lunch break or in the evening. You want at least 20 minutes. But don’t feel like to have to complete the 20 minutes all at once. Maybe you can do 10 minutes before breakfast and another 10 after lunch. Make it count, move your arm when walking, do intervals, 5 minutes at moderate pace and 1 min at a fast pace and so on.
Do this every day, you can’t help but feel more energized, feel stronger, reduce stress and strengthen and tone your body.