Coconut Pumpkin Curry
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 skinless organic chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (maple syrup or honey is also optional)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ pound pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup coconut milk
Step 1 – Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pot over medium. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2 – Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same pot and heat over medium. Add onion, garlic, and ginger; cook until golden, 3 minutes, stirring. Add coriander, cumin, sugar, salt, turmeric, and cayenne; cook until fragrant, 1 minute, stirring. Add pumpkin and stir to coat with spices.
Step 3 – Add broth, coconut milk, and reserved chicken; bring to a boil over high, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes, until pumpkin is softened and milk has thickened. Serve warm over coconut wild rice.
Photo Credit: Hajime NAKANO