Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 medium raw beets, peeled and finely chopped in food processor (approx. 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups ground raw almonds (almond flour aka almond meal)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (aluminum free)
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 1 can coconut milk (keep in fridge for 2-3 days before use)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (more if you want it sweeter)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 355 F˚ and place cupcake liners in cupcake tin.
- Peel and quarter the beets and chop in food processor until its finely chopped.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao powder & beets into a saucepan on low heat and stir until all combined and it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce.
- Mix together the almond flour, coconut sugar and baking soda in a large bowl until combined.
- In another bowl beat eggs and vinegar together.
- Add the beaten eggs and chocolate/beet mix to the dry mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake tin and place in the oven for 30 – 40 Minutes or until cooked throughly.
- Leave to cool before removing from tin and adding frosting.
- Take the can of coconut milk from the fridge, the cream and water should have separated.
- Turn the can upside down and open the can.
- Pour water into another jar and save for later use such as in a smoothie.
- Scoop out the cream and place in a chilled bowl.
- With a hand mixer or whisk start whipping the cream.
- Once soft add maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Keep whipping until cream has become thick.