- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 15 oz crumbled tempeh
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Step 1 – In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Step 2 – Add carrots, garlic, onion, zucchini, chill powder, cumin, oregano, paprika and salt. Cook until vegetables are tender.
Step 3 – Add tomatoes, tempeh, beans, vinegar and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours
Step 4 – Serve in bowls and top with cilantro if desired.
Super Boss Chai Latte
- 1 cup chai tea (boil water and steep chai tea for 2-3 minutes)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp grass fed unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp MCT oil (medium chain triglyceride oil, you will see MCT oil on the bottle)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey (optional) I prefer it without.
- dash of cinnamon
Step 1 – At medium heat pour steeped chai tea and almond milk into a pot and heat
Step 2 – Once hot, pour mixture into a blender, add almond butter, grass fed butter and MCT oil into blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes. This will make it frothy too.
Step 3 – Pour into a mug, add a dash of cinnamon and enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable Salad
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 1 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 6 garlic cloves, prick with a fork or knife to prevent bursting
- 2 tbsp olive oil or melted grass-fed butter or melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 to 5 sprigs of fresh thyme and oregano
- 4 tomatoes (Roma tomatoes are best for roasting)
- 2 cups fresh spinach or your favourite salad spring mix
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese (optional)
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 375 F
Step 2 – In a large bowl, toss all vegetables together except tomatoes with oil, thyme and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3 – Place vegetables in a large roasting pan and roast for about 30 minutes or until tender and golden.
Step 4 – Remove pan from the oven and add tomatoes. Return to oven and continue roasting for 5 more minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
Step 5 – Assemble salad, place spinach on plates, toss roasted vegetable in their pan drippings and mix well. Place vegetables on the bed of spinach, top with goat cheese, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve!
Photo Credit: ccharmon
Squash and Chickpea Fritters
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 350F.
Step 2 – cut the squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place on baking sheet skin side down; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper
Step 3 – Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a fork easily pierces flesh.
Step 4 – Allow to cool, scoop out flesh and mash (this step can be done the day before if desired and stored in the fridge)
Step 5 – Mash chickpeas with a fork in a bowl until crumbly, not pureed.
Step 6 – Add mashed squash, lemon juice, chickpea flour, and spices; mix well.
Step 7 – Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
Step 8 – Scoop 1 1/2 tbsp of mixture into the pan and flatten slightly to make a small fritter. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
Step 9 – Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden brown.
Step 10 – Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking remaining fritters in the pan.
Step 11 – Serve warm with sour cream or tzatziki if desired.
Photo Credit: “Masalvadai”. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Commons
- 1 small-medium cauliflower cored and cut into bite-sized flat florets
- 1 onion thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Step 2 – On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss together cauliflower, onion, oil, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt.
Step 3 – Roast for 25 minutes, or until vegetables is tender and caramelized.
Step 4 – Serve and enjoy!
Mushroom Leek Gravy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced leek
- 4 tablespoons flour ie. light spelt, rice or quinoa flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari
- Salt and pepper
Step 1 – Gently heat oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add mushrooms and leek and cook for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
Step 2 – Slowly stir in flour, little by little, until it is evenly incorporated. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Step 3 – Still stirring, add water, about 1/2 cup at a time, to form a smooth thick sauce, using a whisk if necessary.
Step 4 – Turn down heat and add tamari. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Step 5 – You may have to add a little more water or any kind of milk after this gravy sits for awhile.
Photo Credit: thebittenword.com
Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
Step 1 – Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
Step 2 – Place prepared sweet potatoes on 1 or 2 baking sheets or roasting pans.
Step 3 – Using your hands, coat sweet potato chunks with coconut oil.
Step 4 – Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven, add maple syrup, toss to coat and return to oven for 20 more minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and golden.
Step 5 – Add salt and pepper and serve hot.
Gluten Free Crepes with Fruit & Cashew Coconut Cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 cups coconut milk (or alternative milk of your choice)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, ½ tbsp for each crepe
- fruit of your choice
- cashew coconut cream
Step 1 – Mix eggs, coconut milk and rice flour except oil with a whisk until smooth.
Step 2 – Heat a pan on medium heat and pour ½ tbsp oil in it.
Step 3 – When the oil is hot pour a ladle of batter on the same point in the pan and roll the pan from side to side to give the batter a round shape.
Step 4 – Cook it for 1 or 2 minutes. Just check the bottom with a wooden spatula when it releases and flip when it has the nice color you want.
Step 5 – Flip it up and cook the other side for 1 or 2 minutes and transfer it on a plate.
Step 6 – Repeat the same steps until you finish all the batter pouring ½ tbsp coconut oil in the pan each time.
Step 7 – Serve these right after you make with fruit and cashew coconut cream.
Broccoli and Mushroom Quiche
- store bought pie crust (or make your own)
- 1 head of broccoli, florets are sliced
- 2 cups of mushrooms (crimini, shiitake etc.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk, or other milk you desire ie. coconut, hemp, etc.
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- sea salt and black pepper
Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Place broccoli florets in boiling water with a little salt and cook until just tender. Drain and set aside
Step 2 – Melt butter in a frying pan, add mushrooms and garlic and sauté until mushrooms are soft and liquid has evaporated.
Step 3 – Whisk together eggs and almond milk with a little salt and pepper.
Step 4 – Pour egg mixture into pie crust. Arrange broccoli on top then the mushrooms.
Step 5 – Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Step 6 – Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and place back into the oven until cheese has melted.
Step 7 – Let cool, slice and serve!
Salmon with Mushrooms and Bok Choy
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 heads bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp mirin sauce or rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and black pepper
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 400˚F. Put oil, soy sauce, mirin sauce, ginger and garlic in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2 – Put the salmon fillets, bok choy and mushrooms in a roasting pan, drizzle the oil mixture over the salmon and combine well.
Step 3 – Put into the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the salmon is fully cooked.
Step 4 – Serve with rice, quinoa or buckwheat noodles.